Been a long time coming

September 04, 2017

Waaia will enter its first A-grade grand final in 26 years.

Having experienced such a long time between success, this year’s Bombers have been superb only dropping just the one game.

Possessing a handy ability to hold on in tight matches, Waaia prevailed again with a two-goal victory against Katunga on Saturday.

Taking to the Swans’ courts, former coach and star player Blaise Mortimer said the side was ecstatic with the victory.

‘‘It’s pretty exciting, we’re all up and about,’’ she said.

‘‘I guess it takes that bit of pressure off now that we’re through and have one more game left.

‘‘We played really well considering we’d just come off a week off and I think we wanted the win and wanted to get through to the grand final being the benchmark side, so we had the confidence and drive to keep going.’’

Katunga stayed within reach of its higher ranked opponent, never letting the deficit grow to more than five goals.

With 10 players to choose from, Bombers coach Nikki Foster barely changed her starting seven, making just two changes for the match.

Mortimer said the side produced a cohesive game, with goalers Helen Plattfuss and Laura Cahoon remaining composed.

Converting most of their turnovers, the side also remained as tight as possible in defence against quality opposition.

After having the first week of finals off, Waaia will not take to the court again until the grand final with Mortimer saying the side would up the ante this week.

‘‘I think we’ll have a big training week and keep a bit of run in our legs and then ease it off coming into the grand final week so we’re fresh and ready to go,’’ she said.

The Swans will have to make their way into the grand final the hard way, coming up against a firing Dookie United on Saturday.

Jodie Fleming’s side defeated Shepparton East 49-44 to end the Eagles’ season in a spectacular turnaround being four goals behind at three-quarter-time.

●The north-west league will see a third instalment of the Deni Rovers and Tocumwal rivalry, with the pair to meet again in the another grand final.

The Deni Rovers were convincing victors against Blighty, taking Saturday’s preliminary final by 21 goals to yet again progress to the decider.

More in Sport
Login Sign Up

Dummy text